Lightwoods Primary School was founded in 1908 at Castle Road East. The school is situated in a residential area on the border between Sandwell and Birmingham, near Warley Woods and Lightwoods Park.
In 2016 the school expanded to a two form entry Primary School and now operates across two sites, Castle Road East and Wolverhampton Road. Lightwoods has a private pre-school provision for 3-4 year olds called Tinywoods. A sports hall was added to the Castle Road site which provides a facility for physical education, extended school facilities and community facilities after school hours.
Extra-curricular clubs and activities include sports, arts, music and wrap around care. Pupils have the opportunity to play musical instruments - brass, woodwind, strings and percussion including drums.
Every child from age six has the opportunity to attend residential visits for arts, sports and other activities.
History of Lightwoods
The attachment below was recreated from a document put together in 1983 to show how the school has changed over the years. Lightwoods Primary School was originally called Castle Road School. The school has been extended many times including the latest new build in 2004. We celebrated our Centenary on the 8th of May 2008.